The current custodians of the Regency style house, designed in 1941 by architect Harry D. Payne, engaged the architecture and interior design services of L. Barry Davidson Architects for the firm’s extensive work in Georgian style architecture. It was a primary goal of the project team to preserve the original front and side façades and rework the incremental additions in a cohesive manner to suit the needs of an active family with three young children.
The placement of the new open loggia as an extension of the house and on axis with the pool offers a completely unobstructed view of the entire garden, referencing the sweeping lawn of the English country house. The loggia is defined by a colonnade of cast stone Doric columns centered on the outdoor fireplace and summer kitchen.
The main gathering spaces were left largely intact, with new generous openings aligned to allow a continuous vista from the front to the back of the structure. The needs of each successive owner had resulted in fragmented circulation and utilitarian furr-downs throughout the second floor. The simple move of shifting the main bedroom hall 18” and now lit by a new barrel vaulted ceiling cove allowed the new second floor rooms to fall into place along a spine.
L. Barry Davidson Architects was the architect and interior designer on this house, completed in January 2015. This house was selected by Preservation Houston for the 2016 Good Brick Award.