The owners who had long occupied a 1940's Georgian house on a large corner lot in Avalon Place sought to replace the structure with one similar in style. Of primary importance to the owners, the presence of the 8,000 square foot house was conceived to blend with the scale and age of the surrounding houses. To achieve this effect, this new structure is reminiscent of an existing stately Georgian home on the main street frontage, with a stylistically appropriate wing having been more recently added along the side street.
The formal entertaining rooms on the first floor are arranged en filade on either side of a double-height central stair hall with a dramatic, sweeping elliptical stair and balcony. On axis with the central stair hall, the family room offers a full view of the rear garden and lap pool. The casual rooms and bedrooms are organized around the double-height back stair hall, defined by vertical wood paneling.
L. Barry Davidson Architects was the architect and interior designer on this house, completed in December 2015.